Saturday, November 19, 2011

December Daily

Now that I am done with one year of December Daily and have just started this year's album, it's time to summarize a few of the things that worked or didn't work for me. Last year, my December Daily project was very ambitious. I decided I would only use Christmas kits; I bought a 6"x6" D-ring album and decided to make a 2-page spread for each day, plus an insert with the date. So my album ended up being pretty thick. I decided I liked the look of pages with different shapes, and I used my Silhouette a lot to cut borders on pages and to cut out elements and alphas. I did not have any color scheme, and I wanted to use a different alpha for each date. A part from the first couple days of December, all the other pages were done ahead of time, but since I was traveling I couldn't keep up with printing photos. I was hoping to get at least the journaling in, but that doesn't work for me because I need to do the photo editing first to know how much space I will need to leave on the page. After adding a few pages and photos in January up to Day 13 or so, my album sat unfinished until this month, when I powered through, edited all the photos, printed them out and journaled. I am very happy with how my album turned out, but I put a lot of hours in it.

This year, I am way more unorganized. Last year I started working on my album in October. This year, I haven't even decided several major things yet:
  • Binding: I don't know whether I will go with a D-ring album again, use binding rings, or maybe try to use wire binding with my new Cinch (it all depends on how thick my album turns out...).
  • Size: I am not set on the size of the pages yet, but I have started making a few of them - all 6"x5" for now. So I will have to decide whether I want to have all pages of the same size or not.
But I am going with the flow. Here are the things I have settled on:
  • Color scheme: unlike last year, I have a color theme for this year's album. I will use traditional Christmas colors (red and green galore, but mainly red) with pops of aqua blue. I think this will give my album a really cool look.
  • Inserts: I won't have separate date inserts this year. Too much work to come up with a unique one for each day, plus they make the album thicker. I will have a different alpha date on each page and that's that.
  • Workflow: I will probably not have my album all done ahead of time - this way I can work based on the photos I have. I'd like to incorporate some full page photo too.
And now, it's time to finally share pictures of my 2010 December Daily album. Be ready for a picture overload. :)





I covered the album with metalized tape. :) Hard to photograph, but it looks so pretty!


Day 1




Day 2




Day 3



Day 4



Day 5




Day 6 - this is one of my favorite pages. :)



Day 7




Day 8



Day 9



Day 10 - I love this page too. Too bad you can't see the stickles on the owl and snowman ball.




Day 11




Day 12 - this is one of my favorites too! :)



Day 13 - I know, I am missing the number 13 on this page... :)




Day 14



Day 15



Day 16




Day 17 - love this one too!




Day 18



Day 19



Day 20



Day 21



Day 22



Day 23



Day 24





Day 25





Day 26 - no number here, but I wanted to include the last couple days of our trip. :)


Day 27 - and you can also see a couple of bits and pieces I had printed out but ended up not using. :)



Forgive the blurriness of a few photos. I didn't have the energy to re-shoot them. :) Here is an almost complete list of credits (I'm sure I am missing a couple things here and there, but nothing major).
Day 1+2
Bundle Up by Kate Hadfield and SMJ Designs
Bingo number by Maya Road
Day 3+4
Crate Paper (Snow Day Collection)
Day 4
Snow Much Fun by Mari Koegelenberg
Line It Up: Templates v. 1 by Krisi's Kreations
Day 5
Christmas Cheer by Jenn Barrette
Line It Up: Templates v. 1 by Krisi's Kreations
Thickers foil sticker by American Crafts; tinsel; InkEssentials white gel pen by Ranger; baker's twine by Martha Stewart
Day 6
A Retro Christmas freebie by Michelle Coleman
Day 7
A Chance of Flurries by Jenn Barrette and Mandabean
Line It Up: Templates v. 1 by Krisi's Kreations
Day 8
A Chance of Flurries by Jenn Barrette and Mandabean
Line It Up: Templates v. 1 by Krisi's Kreations
Day 9
Snow Much Fun by Mari Koegelenberg
Line It Up: Templates v. 1 by Krisi's Kreations
Day 10
Happiest Season of All by Britt-ish Designs
Line It Up: Templates v. 1 by Krisi's Kreations
Thickers foil sticker by American Crafts; baker's twine by Martha Stewart; Stickles by Ranger; red gel pen by Reminisce
Day 11
Very Merry by DeCrow Designs and Britt-ish Designs
Foundations - Round by DeCrow Designs (retired)
Day 12
Hustle and Bustle by Britt-ish Designs
Day 13
Season of Giving by Sahlin Studio and Sugarplum Paperie
Day 14
Foundations - Square by DeCrow Designs (retired)
Holly and Ivy by DeCrow Designs and Studio Rebecca
Day 15
Counting Down to Christmas by Jenn Barrette
Day 16
Christmas Wonder by Kaye Winiecki and Cori Gammon
Bingo card from Vintage Charm by Jenn Barrette (retired)
Day 17
Christmas Wonder by Kaye Winiecki and Cori Gammon
Crate Paper (Snow Day Collection) - right Day
Gift from Counting Down to Christmas by Jenn Barrette
JOY word strip from Snipettes: Season of Giving by Sahlin Studio
Day 18
Christmas Wonder by Kaye Winiecki and Cori Gammon
Crate Paper (Snow Day Collection) - left Day
Word strips from Counting Down to Christmas by Jenn Barrette
Day 19
Noel - A Vintage Christmas kit by Mari Koegelenberg
Day 20
Cozy Christmas by Leora Sanford (retired)
Tree from Holly and Ivy by DeCrow Designs and Studio Rebecca
Gift from Counting Down to Christmas by Jenn Barrette
Crate Paper (Snow Day Collection) - right Day
Day 21
Crate Paper (Snow Day Collection) - left Day
Gift and "wrapping gift" word strip from Counting Down to Christmas by Jenn Barrette
Holiday Mixed Media by Sahlin Studio
Season of Giving by Sahlin Studio and Sugarplum Paperie
Day 22
Element on left Day from Holiday Cheer by WMsquared Designs
Christmas Doodles 2 by Leora Sanford (retired)
Cozy Christmas by Leora Sanford (retired)
Flip Flops alpha stamps by CD Muckosky
Day 23 and 24
12 Days the kit by Mari Koegelenberg
Day 25
12 Days the kit by Mari Koegelenberg
Santa and alpha from Very Merry by DeCrow Designs and Britt-ish Designs
Photo inserts: Falala papers by Rachel Young Designs
Day 26
A Touch of Winter by Erica Zane - left Day
Holly and Ivy by DeCrow Designs and Studio Rebecca - right Day

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am in AWE!!! you did an amazing job!!! thank you for posting this. it's great inspiration for me as I try to figure out how I want to do mine.

Heather K. (interstitchal) said...

THIS IS GORGEOUS! I can't believe you had the patience for that many photos. That album will be so much fun to look at year after year. And way to get it done!!!!